Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Note From Dad

Hi Liz (my dad is the only person that calls me this!):

Today we drove to the AT Approach trail and spent some time with a fellow from Fredricksburg, VA who's starting the trail today.  He has three children and he and his wife just found out they're expecting a fourth.  They now have 3 boys and are hoping for a girl.  He left his job recently and his wife told him this is his best shot at doing it.  Sort of like a six month business trip out of town.

I weighed my full pack at the visitors center  and it was 41 pounds.

I'll be trimming a few more things, but likely won't eliminate much more than a couple of pounds.It was raining pretty hard today but there were still several hikers showing up to start.

March 25th is still looking good for me to head out.  Jill & Mom picked up some long maps of the trail for you and all your siblings to track progress.  I've scheduled a stop over in Franklin, NC for April 3rd, so that will hopefully be my first major stop and resupply point.

I'll be sending you updates!

Love you,
Dad

5 comments:

  1. Happy Walking! Good luck & Godspeed! We are looking forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Won't be long now. We wish you our best. We'll be following you as you follow your dream. I'm reminded of Robert Frost ... "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."
    Chris and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Roger,

    long time no speak, but Jimmy Kovac pointed me in the direction of your blog, what an outstanding ambition to have, best wishes on your long long long walk.

    As an aside, there is a hugely entertaining and funny book on the AP, by an author called Bill Bryson ....... its called

    A WALK IN THE WOODS,

    and I throughly recommend it as a companion for the trail.

    On a seperate subject, gealogy.
    Did you know that at one time the land that became Scotland, and North America East Coast were joined together, ok, its many millions of years ago, so personally I dont remember it, but its fact that the AP and the Scottish Highlands were part of the same mountain chain fault line all that time ago.

    I will check in on your progress, best wishes

    Òlamaid deoch-slàinte!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Saturday morning group will always have you and your loved ones in our thoughts and prayers. You are an inspiration to many. Take care of our BIC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Uncle Rog: I see you're now deep in the Chattahoochee National Forest. Have you seen any cool animals there? I love owls, so whenever you see an owl, think of me. I love you and am thinking of you every day. As your follower Christine M. said: we're all following you as you follow your dream. Lots of Love, Deb & Ken.

    ReplyDelete